Jewish Maghrib Jukebox

Friday, September 26, 2008

Boxing Club

The El Fessain Synagogue is located on Derb el Fessain. It is an approximately 400-year-old synagogue that was used by the toshavim, the original Jewish inhabitants of Morocco, as opposed to the megorashim, or the Sephardim who fled Spain. It is now occupied by a boxing club, an Olympic club as it calls itself, but it is still very clearly a synagogue from the inside. I had always wanted access to this site but when we arrived it was locked. I asked a young man on the street what the story was and he gave it to me but all I understood was that it was at least closed for the day. I returned the next day but I was told that it was permanently closed. It seems the boxing club has gone out of business. I am incredibly curious about this as it would be a perfect candidate for restoration. I am investigating this currently and will report back as soon as I have more information.

No comments: